The Town of Lewis, incorporated in 1805, was named for the third Governor of New York, Morgan Lewis. Located in northern central Essex County, Lewis is a small community known more for its peaceful ambiance than for its industry or tourism. It is located in the Adirondack Mountains, providing many recreational opportunities such as hiking, fishing, hunting, trapping, camping, and cross-country skiing.
Lewis is easily accessed from Exit 32 of the Adirondack Northway, or scenic Route 9 which runs through he center of town. (Click Here for a map of the Lewis area.)
Summer in Lewis can be spent swimming, both locally and in nearby Lake Champlain, kayaking, canoeing, and berry picking. In the fall, our spectacular Fall Foliage is second to none. Winter in Lewis brings snowmobiling, ice skating, and ice fishing on Lake Champlain.
Community spirit and neighborliness are the major attributes of Lewis. There are many organizations to join; The Lewis Volunteer Fire Department, The Elizabethtown-Lewis Ambulance Squad, 4-H, Scouts, Senior Circle, Fish & Game Club. There is a Christmas Tree Lighting ceremony and Caroling in December. Santa Claus comes to visit children in Lewis every year at the Fire House.
North Country Chamber of Commerce Link
Regular Town Board Meeting
August 10, 2021 at 7:00 PM
This will be an in person meeting.
Vaccine tracker: adksaco.maps.arcgis.com/apps/View/index.html?appid=513325d8a3ed431eaaf06fbad20571d3
FEMA to Help Pay Funeral Costs for COVID-19-related Deaths
In early April, FEMA will begin providing financial assistance for funeral expenses incurred after Jan. 20, 2020 for deaths related to coronavirus (COVID-19) to help ease some of the financial stress and burden caused by the pandemic. The policy was finalized today, and FEMA is now moving rapidly to implement this funeral assistance program nationwide.
To be eligible for COVID-19 funeral assistance, the policy states<https://www.fema.gov/sites/default/files/documents/fema_policy_covid-19_funeral_assistance-updated.pdf>:
* The applicant must be a U.S. citizen, non-citizen national, or qualified alien who incurred funeral expenses after Jan. 20, 2020 for a death attributed to COVID-19.
* If multiple individuals contributed toward funeral expenses, they should apply under a single application as applicant and co-applicant. FEMA will also consider documentation from other individuals not listed as the applicant and co-applicant who may have incurred funeral expenses as part of the registration for the deceased individual.
* An applicant may apply for multiple deceased individuals.
* The COVID-19-related death must have occurred in the United States, including the U.S. territories and the District of Columbia.
• This assistance is limited to a maximum financial amount of $9,000 per funeral and a maximum of $35,500 per application.
• Funeral assistance is intended to assist with expenses for funeral services and interment or cremation.
In the coming weeks, a dedicated 800 number will be established to help individuals who apply. In the meantime, potential applicants are encouraged to start gathering the following documentation:
* An official death certificate that attributes the death to COVID-19 and shows that the death occurred in the U. S. The death certificate must indicate the death “may have been caused by” or “was likely the result of” COVID-19 or COVID-19 like symptoms. Similar phrases that indicate a high likelihood of COVID-19 are considered sufficient attribution.
* Funeral expense documents (receipts, funeral home contract, etc.) that include the applicant’s name, the deceased individual’s name, the amount of funeral expenses, and the dates the funeral expenses were incurred.
* Proof of funds received from other sources specifically for use toward funeral costs. Funeral assistance may not duplicate benefits received from burial or funeral insurance, financial assistance received from voluntary agencies, federal/state/local/tribal/territorial government programs or agencies, or other sources.
More information regarding this assistance can be found at COVID-19 Funeral Assistance | FEMA.gov<https://www.fema.gov/disasters/coronavirus/economic/funeral-assistance>
Hometown Hero Banner application can be found on the Hometown Hero Tab to the left.
NEW YORK STATE COVID-19 VACCINATION HOTLINE
1-833-NYS1-833-NYS-4-VAX (1-833-697-4829)-4-VAX (1-833-697-4829)
The COVID-19 Vaccination Hotline is open 7AM - 10PM, 7 days week, to help New Yorkers determine if they are eligible and schedule vaccination appointments.
The state has just rolled out an easy to use and public dashboard tool. Currently this data is only available by region but if we get more granular data we will alert you to those updates.
The link is here, and these numbers are expected to be updated daily.